Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) Facilitator (Seasonal Position)
About Kingmakers of Oakland:
At Kingmakers of Oakland, we fundamentally believe that all Black males are brilliant, beautiful, and possess innate greatness. Because our society and educational systems aren’t set up to help Black boys reach their potential, our collective opportunity and responsibility are to co-create the school environment every child deserves. The Kingmakers of Oakland approach proves that it is possible to rebuild the systems, structures, culture, and conditions of school so Black boys can thrive.
Kingmakers of Oakland is looking to build an amazing team of contracted facilitators for the Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) project. Currently YPAR is in five Kingmakers classes in the San Francisco Unified School District. YPAR is a student-centered research project that works with students in Kingmaker’s Manhood Development classes. In your role as a YPAR facilitator you will guide students through the YPAR curriculum and create a space for them to advocate and research issues affecting in their school community.
Through collaboration with Kingmakers staff, SFUSD’s Masturing Cultural Identity staff and African American Achievement & Leadership Initiative (AAALI) Staff , YPAR facilitators will be working with students from the Kingmakers classes who are volunteering to participate in the YPAR study, which will take place afterschool. Facilitators will lead students in the YPAR cohort through a year long YPAR study process with provided guided curriculum, a detailed scope and sequence for the year and a mentor/coach who will guide each facilitator along the process. Each cohort may range from 3-15 students, based on how many students volunteer.
Starting rate- $19/hr
Experienced rate- $23/hr
San Francisco (Schools TBD)
September 2022-June 2023
After School Hours
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
- The YPAR facilitator should devote ten hours per week to YPAR facilitation, including: facilitating the YPAR curriculum for one hour every week, updating the curriculum continuously, observing Kingmaker’s MDP classes, and any other necessary activities.
- Create and present YPAR presentations to school and community leaders as part of the YPAR Curriculum, which includes project-based learning, community building with students, and student-centered research development..
- A minimum of one in- person facilitated study at a SFUSD school site, date and location to be determined
- Attendance at YPAR facilitator training and YPAR Back to School Night
- Attend YPAR team meetings as required
- Additional duties as assigned
Qualifications for the position:
- Mission alignment as it relates to engaging, encouraging, and empowering youth of color and towards systemic change in education
- Minimum of 1+ year of teaching or classroom experience preferred
- Experience working with opportunity aged youth (ages 12-17)
- Ability to facilitate conversations with youth and be adaptable to their needs
- Has experience working in Afro-centric spaces and with students of color, specifically Black boys
- The ability to succesfully navigate within a new program while being comfortbale with ambiguity